Are you feeling fatigued, having memory problems, or having mood swings?

If so, it may be time to check your home for mold. Mold is a type of fungus that can cause a range of health issues and symptoms if not addressed in a timely manner.

Depending on a person’s level of sensitivity and physical well-being, the repercussions of mold can range from minor discomforts such as eye strain to more serious issues like high fever, headaches, and even depression.

In this blog post, we’ll look at some common symptoms associated with mold exposure and how to identify them before they become more serious health concerns.Read on for more information about these signs and what steps you should take if you suspect there is mold in your living space!

Respiratory problems

Mold is infamous for causing numerous respiratory problems, such as allergies, asthma, and bronchitis. Individuals with respiratory ailments can be particularly vulnerable to the consequences of mold, which can trigger inflammation and infections in the lungs. [1]

Skin irritation

Mold spores can be detrimental to skin health, causing irritating rashes, and increasing the probability of fungal and bacterial infections. People with sensitive skin or allergies to molds could be more susceptible to such symptoms. [2]

Eye irritation

Mold can cause eye irritation by producing substances that trigger inflammatory responses. Common symptoms include itching, redness, and watering of the eyes. Further exposure to mold can result in more serious conditions such as conjunctivitis (pink eye) or corneal ulcers, which require prompt medical attention.
Therefore, preventive measures such as regular cleaning and maintaining proper ventilation are necessary to avoid mold growth and protect eye health. [3]

Nose and throat irritation

Mold exposure may cause nose and throat irritation, including congestion, soreness, coughing, and labored breathing. Individuals with chronic lung ailments may be particularly vulnerable to mold’s harmful effects.[4]


Exposure to mold can be harmful, causing fever in certain individuals, especially those with weakened immune systems or with allergies to mold. It’s important to address the issue of mold in living places as soon as possible, as mold spores can potentially lead to more severe health issues if left unchecked.[5]


Mold exposure can cause headaches and migraines in some individuals, and this can be exacerbated in people who are allergic to mold, or who have chronic headaches or migraines. Mold spores can trigger an inflammatory response in the body, causing the blood vessels in the head and neck to dilate and generate pressure, leading to a headache. [6]


Fatigue: Mold exposure can cause fatigue and lethargy in some people. These symptoms may be more severe in people with chronic fatigue syndrome or who are allergic to mold. [7]toxic mold

Memory problems

Memory problems: Some people may experience memory problems after being exposed to mold. This is more likely to occur in people with pre-existing cognitive impairment or who are allergic to mold. [8]


Depression: Some people may experience depression after being exposed to mold. This is more likely to occur in people with pre-existing mental health conditions or who are allergic to mold. [9]

Mood swings

Mold exposure can cause changes in mood, including sudden shifts from one emotional state to another. These mood swings may be more pronounced in people with pre-existing mental health conditions such as anxiety or depression, or those who are allergic to mold. Studies have shown that mold has been linked to increased levels of stress hormones, which can lead to mood swings. [10]

Shortness of breath and chronic cough

Mold exposure can lead to shortness of breath and chronic cough due to the presence of irritants in the air such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These chemicals are released by mold, particularly when it is disturbed. Inhaling these can cause inflammation in the lungs, leading to difficulty breathing. This can worsen existing respiratory conditions. [11]

Night or cold sweats

Mold exposure can lead to night or cold sweats as the body’s response to an allergen. Sweating is a physical reaction to an allergen, such as mold, and can be triggered by inhaling airborne particles or spores. These reactions are more severe in people who are already exposed to mold or have weakened immune systems.[12]

Feeling lightheaded

Feeling lightheaded is a common symptom of mold exposure, and can be the result of inhalation of small airborne particles or spores. Mold exposure can also lead to an increase in histamine levels, which can result in a decrease in oxygen levels in the blood. This drop in oxygen can lead to feelings of lightheadedness and dizziness [13]

Increased urinary frequency

Increased urinary frequency is a common symptom of mold exposure, and can be caused by the release of toxins into the bloodstream. Mold has been linked to increased levels of enzymes in the body that affect the kidneys, leading to an increase in urinary frequency.  [14]


Mold exposure can also lead to an increase in the risk of infections, such as fungal skin infections and respiratory infections. The presence of mold spores can weaken the immune system and make it more susceptible to bacterial and viral infections. Additionally, mold has been linked to increased inflammation in the body, which can exacerbate existing conditions like asthma or allergies.
As a result, those who have been exposed to mold may be at greater risk of developing respiratory infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia.

Additionally, since mold can cause irritation in the nose and throat, people with asthma and allergies may be more vulnerable to sinus infections.  Those with compromised immune systems are also at increased risk of infection from mold.  It is important to note that individuals who are exposed to mold should be monitored for any respiratory symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. [15]

Learn how to prevent mold growth in your home with these easy tips!

If you suspect there is mold in your home, it is important to take action quickly. Not only can mold cause a range of health issues and symptoms, but it can also damage the structure of your home if left unchecked.

The first step is to identify the source of any potential mold. If you notice a musty smell or see visible signs of mold, it is important to try and trace the source. This can be done by looking in areas that may experience higher levels of humidity, such as basements, attics, closets, and other enclosed spaces.
It is also important to inspect any areas that may have had water damage, such as near leaking pipes or roofing spaces since mold can thrive in these environments.

Once you’ve identified the source of the potential mold, it is important to take steps to address the problem. If you are dealing with a minor infestation, it is possible to tackle the issue yourself with cleaning products and good scrubbing. However, if the mold has spread or caused significant damage, it may be necessary to call in a professional to assess the extent of the problem and determine what course of action should be taken.

Finally, it is important to take steps to prevent further mold growth in your home. This can include using dehumidifiers, repairing dripping pipes and other water damage, and improving air circulation to reduce humidity levels. By taking these steps and keeping a close eye on any potential sources of mold, you can help protect the health of your family and keep your living space safe from future mold problems.


Mold can be a serious health hazard and it is important to take action quickly if you suspect there might be mold in your home. Identifying the source of potential mold, taking steps to address any infestations, and preventing further growth are all essential for ensuring the safety of yourself and your family.

With these tips in mind, you can help protect your living space from this dangerous fungus. If needed, don’t hesitate to call in a professional who has experience dealing with mold issues—they will have the knowledge required to tackle even advanced cases of contamination or structural damage caused by long-term exposure. Taking proactive measures now can save much time and money down the road!

If you found this article helpful why not pop over to read our other helpful posts on inflammation and arthritis reduction?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *