Coconut water

Nothing on Earth looks or tastes like the humble Coconut. In today’s post were going to look at some of the benefits of drinking Coconut water, this fabulous source of goodness is widely available in most Supermarkets and Grocery stores so what are you waiting for?

Originally native to the Western Pacific, Coconuts were spread by the Oceans currents and by human trade, these nutritious nuts are now grown in most tropical areas of the world, they are in fact the most common palm in all of the tropics.

This versatile and well traveled nut has become a vital daily resource for many of the people who live in areas where the coconut palm grows, it provides an invaluable source of food, shelter and fuel for the people of the tropics

Milk or Water?

Coconut Water and Coconut Milk are in fact, two very different things, today were going to talk a little about Coconut water and deal with Coconut milk in another post although they are both wonderful, Nutritious super foods.

Cconut water, a great post workout drinkCoconut milk is the clear, light and refreshing liquid that is found within the nut (not the white meat). Coconut water is actually 95% water but don’t be fooled by the numbers…. There are many great benefits within the other 5%  that can have a favorable effect on our health.

Coconut water is sterile when it comes out of the coconut, and extremely similar in composition to human blood plasma. These unique properties make it so completely compatible with the human body that it can be infused intravenously into your bloodstream.

Physicians have actually used coconut water successfully as an IV fluid for more than 60 years, especially in remote regions of the world where medical supplies are limited and it has saved many lives. You can appreciate how safe and beneficial this natural beverage is, if it can be used intravenously!


Health Benefits

Here are some of the health benefits associated with regular Coconut Water use as researched by Dr Bruce Fife in his awesome book  Coconut Water for Health and Healing

  • Rehydrates the body with its high water and electrolyte content
  • Shown to have anti- cancer properties
  • Anti-Inflammatory; reduces swelling and inflammation in the body
  • Helps to balance the body’s Insulin and blood glucose levels
  • Enhances the health of the eyes especially in people with cataracts or glaucoma
  • Helps to support the function of a healthy immune system
  • A natural remedy for constipation
  • Helps to prevent osteoporosis
  • Prevents abnormal clotting of the blood
  • Improves wound healing rates
  • Helps maintain the elasticity of the skin, shown to remove wrinkles and age spots
  • A good tonic for healthy gut flora
  • Helps to regulate blood pressure
  • Helps to dissolve and prevent kidney stones and aids the general function of the kidney
  • Improves circulation and can help to reduce plaque formation in the arteries
  • Supports the Immune system as it contains monolaurin and is antimicrobial


Coconut water is……

  • Rich in natural vitamins, minerals and trace elements, especially the B vitamins, zinc, selenium, iodine, sulfur, and manganese.
  • packed with amino acids, phytonutrients, antioxidants, organic acids and enzymes.
  • Rich in cytokinins, or plant hormones, which have anti-aging, anti-cancer, and anti-thrombolytic effects in humans.
  • Rich source of electrolytes and natural salts, especially potassium and magnesium.

Coconut water also has been shown to have an Alkalizing effect on the human body, which can help correct the the body’s PH balance

Just click the following link If you would like to view a PDF file showing the complete nutritional profile of all things Coconut.


After a tough workout, instead of reaching for sports drink, open up a coconut and drink the refreshing water One study in 2007 found sodium-enriched coconut water to be as effective as commercial sports drinks for whole body re-hydration after exercise, with less stomach upset.

You can add Coconut Water to any of your favorite fruit or vegetable juice recipes, the light taste and consistency of the water make it ideal for bulking out juices when you don’t have much other produce to hand. We like to take Coconut water every day and usually add it to our morning vegetable juice.


4 Carrotts

1 Whole cucumber

1 Lemon with skin

1 Head of Broccoli

1 Coconut water

1 Thumb of Ginger